Best Golf Bags for 2022: 10 Bags for Every Type of Golfer
This post was updated in January 2022, and will continue to updated throughout the year as more bags are released and we get the chance to test them.
Trying to find the best golf bag for you can often be just as difficult as buying a new set of clubs.
It’s not just about picking the “pretty one.”
There’s more competition than ever in the world of golf bags, with most brands having dozens of different products and styles to choose from.
The good news is that we’ve got you covered. Over the last year, we’ve reviewed a bunch of different golf bags, and have a really good sense of the pros and cons of the most popular bags on the market.
In this review of the best golf bags of 2022, we’re going to help you choose a bag that will last you for years to come and fit right into your preferred budget.
What to Look for in a Golf Bag?
When trying to find the best golf bag for your needs and personal style, there’s a lot to consider. One golfer’s favorite bag may be one that simply doesn’t work for you.
The last thing you want is to buy a bag designed for the minimalist golfer who likes to carry, only to find that you don’t have space for that six-pack of beers you sneak onto the course during every round!
So how do you start?
First here are a few questions you should ask yourself to help narrow down what you’re looking for:
- Do you generally carry, push, or ride? Most stand bags will transfer well enough to a cart, but a cart bag? You’re not lugging that around the course on your shoulders.
- How important is storage? Be honest with yourself here.
- Do you like a throwback or modern vibe?
- Do you care about what’s “cool” or do you just want something super functional?
- How much do you want to spend?
Once you have answers to these, then the following recommendations will help you narrow down the best bag for you. I tried to cover both the highlights and lowlights of each bag to give you an honest assessment of what to expect.
Overall Best Golf Bag: Jones Utility Trouper ii
I’ve had a Jones Utility Trouper for two years now, and taken it all over the country to golf. It might be the best “do anything” golf bag I’ve ever had.
Want a bag with plenty of space for everything you need? Check.
Want throwback style that gets respect everywhere you take it? Check.
Want to carry light with a single strap? Check.
Load it up and go double strap or cart? Check and check.
This is the swiss army knife of golf bags, and gets my highest recommendation.
This and the Vessel duked it out for my top spot of the year, but ultimately this won due to price and availability. The Jones bag is a better fit for most golfers as it’s nearly $150 less than the Vessel, readily available, and has a sweet throwback style that’s very on-trend at the moment.
Downsides? Using the double strap can be a bit cumbersome until you get used to it.
They also made some quality of live, and aesthetic upgrades for their “2.0” model, which makes the latest Utility Trouper the best yet.
- Price: $250
- Where to Buy: Buy at Jones Sports Co.
- Solid Alternative: Vessel Player III
- Review: Jones Utility Trouper 2.0 Review
Runner up for Best Bag of 2022: Vessel Player III
I’ve used a lot of great bags in 2022, but one of my absolute favorites is the Vessel Player III.
At $375 the Player III is by no means a cheap bag, but you get what you pay for.
What do I love most about this bag? Comfort and space.
The double strap is one of the most comfortable I’ve ever used, and the bag has a ton of space for all your golfing accessories.
The dedicated rangefinder pouch has been a bigger benefit than I expected, and the large apparel pocket can fit more than many competing bags.
While it doesn’t have the trendy throwback style that’s popular right now, I do think this bag looks great in the dark grey colorway.
Downsides? It’s expensive, and many of the styles have been sold out since it launched – so getting your hands on one can be tricky. Those two things combined kept it out of the top spot.
- Price: $375
- Where to buy: Buy at Vessel Bags.
- Solid Alternative: Ping Hoofer
- Review: Vessel Player III Golf Bag Review
Best Looking Bag: Stitch SL2
The Stitch SL2 Golf Bag just flat out looks good.
Their 2021 models have a two-tone color-blocking that doesn’t just look unique, it looks flat-out sexy. I’m excited to see what they release in 2022.
The SL2 is a walking golfer’s dream in that it comes with both single and double straps, and at only 4 pounds is very lightweight.
The customized “ingot” you can get with your initials is a nice personalized touch as well.
If you’re someone who prefers to carry your clubs, this is one of the very best out there.
Downsides? There are only 3 pockets, and they all feel a bit cramped. So don’t plan on hauling a bunch of stuff in the SL2
- Price: $368
- Where to Buy: Buy on Stitch.com. Use the code BE20 to get 20% off!
- Solid Alternative: Titelist Linksmaster
- Review: Stitch SL2 Review: Is it the Best Walking Bag Out There?
Most Functional Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
There’s a reason the Ping Hoofer has been around and celebrated for so long: It’s a fantastic golf bag that does everything well. You’ve got plenty of space, it’s lighter than the similarly featured Vessel golf bag above, and it’s less expensive too.
Downsides? I’m not a huge fan of the look of the Ping bags, as the branding is a little heavy for me.
But if you’re looking for a fantastic all-around bag, that has tons of storage at a reasonable price? This is absolutely a bag worth checking out.
- Price: $245
- Where to Buy: Buy on Ping.com here. Buy the Hoofer on Amazon here.
- Solid Alternative: Ping Hoofer Lite if you’re looking for a little less weight.
Lightest Golf Bag: Sun Mountain 2.5+ Golf Bag
I’m sure you could get creative and find lighter golf bags out there, but at less than 3 pounds the Sun Mountain 2.5+ is a fantastic lightweight golf bag.
Sun Mountain has been around for years and has built a name for itself with highly functional and reliable golf equipment.
I used one of the precursors to this bag, the Sun Mountain Front 9 for 4 years and absolutely loved it.
Not only is the build quality great, but there’s more storage than you’d expect for a bag this light.
Downsides? You may or may not be a fan of Sun Mountain’s styling.
- Price: $229
- Where to Buy: Buy on Amazon. Buy on at sunmountain.com
- Solid Alternative: Callaway Hyper Lite
Best Golf Bag Under $100: Wilson W Carry Bag
The Wilson W Carry bag is certainly not the coolest or trendiest golf bag out there. But you know what? It has all the basic features you want (like a stand), has a clean look to it, and it only costs $80!
That’s a third or even a fourth of what some of the bags on this list cost. So if you just want a solid functional golf bag from a reputable brand, that won’t break the bank? I think this is a fantastic option.
Best Heirloom: MacKenzie Golf Bags
Do you want something more than just a golf bag? Something special that’s customized to you, tells a story, and has the potential to be passed down to a family member in the future?
Then you want a MacKenzie bag.
You won’t find fancy technology, tons of space, or even a double strap – but if you want something special, then Mackenzie is absolutely the first place I’d look.
- Price: Prices start around $425 for a nylon bag, and go way up from there.
- Where to Buy: Buy on their website here.
- Solid Alternative: FlagBag.
Readers Choice: Titleist Linksmaster
When I recently posted a review of another bag, I asked Breaking Eighty readers what bag they would recommend, and a surprisingly high number of people came back raving about the Titelist Linksmaster.
As I understand it, the Linksmaster was built to directly compete with the Stitch SL2. It’s the highest-end carry bag from Titlelist, and I’ve gotta say it looks great.
This bag is an investment, but I’ve had enough people I respect rave about it, that it’s worth adding to this list.
Downsides? It can be tough to get your hands on one, as they aren’t as easy to buy as most of the ones on this list.
- Price: $375
- Where to Buy: Check your local pro shop or Titelist.com
- Solid Alternative: Stitch SL2 – Use code BE20 for 20% off.
Best Duffel Bag: Jones Weekender
The first thing you notice about the Jones Weekender is that it’s a fantastic-looking duffel bag. It looks rugged and ready for anything you could throw at it. The second may be, “well, can it hold all my stuff?”
Yes, yes it can.
I was shocked after my first trip with it. I took it down to Pebble Beach for 5 days, and couldn’t believe how much just kept fitting in it.
It turns into a backpack which is a nice touch. My only wish is that it also had a shoulder strap.
- Price: $155
- Where to Buy: Buy at Jones Sports Co.
- Solid Alternative: Holderness and Bourne Byers. If you want an elegant bag, this is about as good as it gets.
- Review: Jones Weekender Review: My New Favorite Travel Duffel?
Best Travel Bag: Club Glove Last Bag
When I first started traveling for golf, I picked up a $100 travel bag from Golf Galaxy. Worst. Move. Ever.
Within 5 trips, it was already ripping.
So I spent a bit more money and picked up a Club Glove Last Bag.
Over the past 7 years it’s been on over 30 golf trips, been to half a dozen countries, and is still performing like the day I got it.
This truly is the last bag you’ll need, and while it’s on the expensive side, it’s well worth it to know your club will make it to your destination safely.
- Price: $289+ depending on which size and style you get.
- Where to Buy: Buy through our Eighty Club Pro Shop. Buy on Amazon.
- Solid Alternative: Sun Mountain CLUBGLIDER
- Review: Club Glove Last Bag Review: Is It the Best Travel Bag Out There?
There You Go, the Best Golf Bags of 2022!
So there you have it, the best golf bags out there for 2022. I’ll continue to update this post as I test out new products and new bags hit the market later in the year!
Have something you want me to try? Drop a comment or shoot me a note and let me know!
Want to See More of Our Favorite Golf Products?
- Best Golf Rangefinders – Looking for accurate yardages? Look no further.
- Best Golf Gifts – Over 50 gift ideas for the golfer in your life, at every price point.
- Best Golf Launch Monitors – What’s the best launch monitor under $5oo?
- Best Golf Push Carts – Prefer to push rather than carry? One of these will be for you.
- Best Golf Balls – Golf is hard enough, at least make sure you’re using the right balls for your game.
This page contains affiliate links. This means that if you click a link and buy one of the products on this page, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you!) This doesn’t affect our opinions or our reviews. Everything we do is to benefit you as the reader, so all of our reviews are as honest and unbiased as possible.