The Best Golf Launch Monitors of 2022: An In Depth Review
When it comes to the world of golf technology, I’m not sure there’s a single product segment that has evolved further in the last five years than launch monitors.
It wasn’t long ago that the only options for a launch monitor were Trackman and competing products that held price tags well into the five figures.
But now in 2022?
There are golf launch monitors available at just about every price point, all the way down to a couple hundred dollars.
And you know what’s even more surprising than that?
Many of them are good.
So before, when the only times you’d get the benefits of an accurate launch monitor were during a lesson or a club fitting, you can now get accurate(ish) distances every single time you head to the range or your garage.
But with so many options now on the market, which one is right for you?
It honestly can be pretty confusing, but I’ve personally gone out and reviewed nearly all of the best golf launch monitors under $3,000 so that you don’t have to.
Ready to find your perfect device? Me too, let’s go!
What is a Golf Launch Monitor?
First off, you may have stumbled upon this article and found yourself thinking “what the heck is a launch monitor?”
Simply put, a golf launch monitor is a doppler radar or camera-based device that measures various metrics about your golf shots. This can include carry distance, swing speed, ball speed, spin rate, and many more.
You set the launch monitor behind or to the side of your ball on a range, garage, or simulator – and either in a compatible app or on the device itself, it gives you all of the info you could want to know about a golf swing.
What metrics a launch monitor provides, how accurate the data is, and what additional features the device has will vary wildly depending on the price point.
What to Look for in a Launch Monitor?
Every single golfer is going to look for something slightly different in a launch monitor.
Are you a scratch golfer who is grinding to dial in his wedges down to the nearest yard? Then accuracy is going to be really important to you.
Are you a 15 handicap who gets bored on the range and you’re just looking for a way to make practice more enjoyable? You’re going to want a launch monitor that’s easy to use, and also has some fun bonus features.
Are you setting up a simulator in your garage for off-season play and practice? You’ll want to make sure it’s compatible with your simulator software of choice.
To make matters more complicated, prices for launch monitors run from $200 to $30,000 or more.
So before deciding which device you want, it’s really important to understand what you’re looking for, as well as what your budget is.
When considering a golf launch monitor here are some of the things you should be considering:
- Accuracy – How accurate do you really need it to be? Within a yard every time? Or are you ok with numbers that are in the right ballpark?
- Portability – Are you setting your device up in the garage and then not touching it? Or will you be taking it out to the range on a regular basis?
- Price – What features do you need, and is it really worth the extra money to jump from a device in the $500 range to spending $2,000 or more? Also, take note of whether or not there is a recurring subscription fee to use the device.
- Ease of use – You want a device you’ll use, and if you’re someone who won’t use something that is less user-friendly, this is worth considering.
- Simulator Compatibility – Is your primary purpose to use this as a simulator? Make sure it’s compatible. If this is the case, check out our ultimate guide to building a golf simulator for home.
- Fun – It sounds weird, but some launch monitors are simply more fun to use than others. Either through their user experience or extra features, this is one of my biggest considerations personally.
Ok, with all that in mind, let’s jump into the best golf launch monitors on the market in 2022.
We’ll be focusing specifically on devices $3,000 or less. Once you go above that you end up in a different market.
Best Overall Launch Monitor: FlightScope Mevo+
There was a lot of competition for this one, but ultimately I believe the FlightScope Mevo+ is the best overall launch monitor on the market.
Sure there are devices that are more accurate, there are devices that are more fun, and there are certainly some that are less expensive – but the Mevo Plus is the right balance of all those things that gives it the edge in my rankings.
It’s extremely portable, it has a professional level experience, it’s accurate, works with numerous simulator services, and can be upgraded to feature metrics generally only found on flagship, $10k+ devices.
If you’re looking for a launch monitor that does a little bit of everything very well, this is absolutely one you need to take a look at.
- Price: $1,999
- My Rating: 9.2.
- My Review: FlightScope Mevo Plus Review: A Very Worth Investment
- Solid Alternative: Garmin Approach R10. Here’s our R10 vs Mevo+ Comparison
- Where to Buy: Buy from FlightScope. Buy from PlayBetter.com.
Simply put this is the closet you're going to get to a "pro" level launch monitor at a budget price. Granted $2k isn't exactly budget, but for what you get? This is a fantastic value. Use code "BREAKINGEIGHTYPLUS" to get 10% off!
Best Launch Monitor for Most People: Garmin Approach R10
The Garmin Approach R10 is one of the most impressive devices I’ve ever tested. It has most of the features of the Mevo Plus (plus some the Mevo+ doesn’t have), and comes in at less than 1/3 the price.
When it comes to fun? I think this one takes the cake. It’s incredibly easy to setup, and despite using an algorithm to measure many of it’s data points (rather than measuring them directly), I’ve found it to be quite accurate for my needs.
It also works with e6 simulator software, Awesome Golf, and its “Home Tee Hero” feature is a very cool bonus.
It certainly is more “consumer-level” than the Mevo+, but chances are? You’re not a pro.
Biggest current drawback of the R10? It’s been sold out for months.
- Price: $599
- My Rating: 9.4
- My Review: Garmin Approach R10 Review: Best Launch Monitor Under $1k?
- Solid Alternative: FlightScope Mevo+
- Where to Buy: Buy from Garmin. Buy from PlayBetter.com.
The Garmin Approach R10 is hands down one of the very best launch monitors you'll find for under $1,000. Highly recommend.
Best Launch Monitor Under $500: FlightScope Mevo
The under $500 launch monitor market has gone crazy over the last couple years and there are a lot of very viable options here.
But I have to give the edge to the original FlightScope Mevo.
Two primary reasons:
- Ease of Use
I’ve found the Mevo to be the most accurate launch monitor in this price range, despite the fact that it doesn’t have some features others have (like lateral shot data).
The Apple Watch compatibility also makes this very convenient to use on the range.
Not to mention the FlightScope Mevo is the most portable launch monitor on this list.
- Price: $499. Use Code”BREAKINGEIGHTY10″ for 10% off!
- My Rating: 9
- My Review: FlightScope Mevo Review: The Best Consumer Level Launch Monitor?
- Solid Alternative: Rapsodo MLM. Here’s our Mevo vs. Rapsodo MLM Comparison
- Where to Buy: Buy from FlightScope. Buy from PlayBetter.com.
A fantastic launch monitor at a great price. If you're looking to dial in your distances, but not spend thousands on a Pro-Level Flightscope or Trackman? This is for you. And you can save 15% using the code "BreakingEighty"
Best Budget Golf Launch Monitor: Swing Caddie SC200+
Fun fact, the very first personal launch monitor I ever reviewed was the Swing Caddie SC200. It was the first time I truly saw technology trickle down to the point where just about golfer could afford a launch monitor.
Since then, they’ve updated the SC200, and it’s still fantastic.
If simplicity is your goal? This thing is great. No apps to fuss with, just stick it behind your ball, and get reliable data displayed immediately after each shot.
And one cool feature of the newer SC200+? It will track swing speed even if you’re not hitting a ball.
So if you’re using a device like SuperSpeed to really try and improve that aspect of your game? This is the perfect device to help with that.
- Price: $349
- My Rating: 8.8
- My Review: Swing Caddie SC200 Launch Monitor Review. Note: This review was for the older SC200, not the new Plus model which adds some additional features.
- Solid Alternative: Swing Caddie SC300i
- Where to Buy: Buy from PlayBetter.com
If you're looking for the cheapest device that we'd still recommend - this is it. The display works great, and the simplicity of not having an app is tough to beat.
Most Accurate Launch Monitor: Bushnell Launch Pro
Of all the launch monitors on this list, this definitely leans the most into “professional” territory.
The Bushnell Launch Pro is built on the GC3 Platform, and performs similarly to that – but at half the price (there’s a subscription component, which is the caveat).
The Launch Pro uses a high-tech camera system rather than doppler to give you your metrics and in my testing, it’s led to the most accurate results of any devices I’ve tested.
If you’re looking for a semi-permanent simulator setup, or you want a professional level device that’s a little more budget-friendly?
This is the launch monitor for you.
Just keep in mind, it’s not as easy to setup as some of the others, and if you want to use it as a simulator beyond just your iPad? You’ll need a gaming PC in order to do it.
- Price: $2,999
- My Rating: 8.8
- My Review: Bushnell Launch Pro Review: It’s Fantastic, But…
- Solid Alternative: FlightScope Mevo Plus
- Where to Buy: Buy from Bushnell. Buy from PlayBetter.com
Built off the Foresight GC3, the Bushnell Launch Pro is the most accurate launch monitor we've tested. If you're looking for professional results for a fraction of a Trackman? Definitely consider the Launch Pro.
Most Features Under $500: Rapsodo MLM
When it comes to the sub-$500 launch monitor market the FlightScope Mevo and the Rapsodo MLM are the two I hear about the most.
I give the edge to FlightScope for simplicity and accuracy.
But in terms of features? The Rapsodo is the winner.
For one, it has lateral data, and will show you a shot tracer view of every ball you hit.
Just the lateral data alone may be enough for some people to choose it over the Mevo. It also has a robust social experience with games you can play against other Rapsodo users.
I haven’t found it to be quite as accurate as other devices, but it’s usually still in the right ballpark. It’s also nice that the design allows the phone to sit upright, so you can see the data easily.
- Price: $499
- My Rating: 8.8
- My Review: Rapsodo MLM Review: Is it Worth $500?
- Solid Alternative: FlightScope Mevo
- Where to Buy: Buy from Amazon. Buy from PlayBetter.com
Looking to make the range fun again? Rapsodo MLM is for you. The Rapsodo is the most full-featured launch montior under $500. Plus the games and social aspect will make practice actually enjoyable to do. Keep an eye out for sales on this one as well.
Best Display: Voice Caddie SC300i
Chances are some of you out there just want a launch monitor that’s simple. You want a big integrated display, and just want to see your stats as quickly and easily as possible.
The SC300i is probably the launch monitor for you.
It’s extremely portable, very easy to setup, and gives pretty accurate results.
The bonus here, is that it does also have an app as well. So if you want a great display, but still want to video record shots, or be able to save data from practice sessions?
The SC300i can do that too.
- Price: $499
- My Rating: 8.5
- My Review: Swing Caddie SC300i Review
- Solid Alternative: SwingCaddie SC200 Plus
- Where to Buy: Buy from PlayBetter.com. Buy from Amazon.
Do you want the benefits of having both an app and an easy-to-read display, without breaking the bank? Then the SC300i is likely going to be the best launch monitor for you.
One I’d Probably Stay Away From: PRGR Launch Monitor
The PRGR Launch Monitor can be very appealing considering you can find it for just a little over $200 – making it the most affordable option on this list.
But in my testing, the results were pretty wildly variable, and I just couldn’t trust the data enough to use it on a regular basis.
The caveat here, is I haven’t tested the latest 2021 model. I’ve used a previous generation. So if price is your absolute biggest consideration, feel free to roll the dice here. And if you do, report back and let me know what you think!
Final Thoughts on the Best Golf Launch Monitors of 2022
As you’ve probably noticed, deciding on a golf launch monitor can be a fairly tricky process. Unlike the best golf rangefinders, which all generally do what they’re supposed to do and have minor differences – launch monitors vary wildly in everything from size, to accuracy, to features, to price.
But I’ve had positive experiences with every single launch monitor on this list.
Sure on the lower end of the range, the data is not going to be as pinpoint accurate as with some of the more expensive devices, but these should all be close enough to make your purchase a wonderful tool for improving your game and having more fun on the range.
Have questions about any of these? I’m here to help! Drop a comment and I’ll do my best to help out.
While you’re here? Hop on our newsletter to get a weekly email of all our latest product reviews.
Looking for More Golf Products? We’ve Got You…
- Best Golf Rangefinders – If a launch monitor is the best piece of golf tech to help you while you’re practicing, a rangefinder is the best piece of tech to actually help you on the course.
- Best Golf Bags – No matter if you prefer to walk, push, or ride – there’s a bag out there for you.
- Best Golf Gifts – Looking for gift ideas for your significant other, or ideas for yourself to share with someone? This list has you covered.
- Best Golf Push Carts – There are a ton of different push carts out there. But which ones are actually worth your time?
- Best Golf Shoes – There’s nothing worse than an uncomfortable pair of shoes on the golf course. These are the best we’ve tested.
This page contains affiliate links. This means that if you click a link and buy one of the products on this page, I may receive a commission (at no extra cost to you!) This doesn’t affect our opinions or our reviews. Everything we do is to benefit you as the reader, so all of our reviews are as honest and unbiased as possible.